Hello reader!
In this post I will talk about the differences between modern and retro mechanical keyboards!
The subject for the review are these two:
Razer Blackwidow Chroma Tournament Edition [2017]:
Hi-Tek Commodore Amiga 500 "Chicken Lips" [1987]:
But why?
You may think that there is actually no point in confronting two keyboard built 30 years apart one from another, but wait...
If we could go back in time to the end of the '90s we would end up in a world were the most "professional" computers all had great mechanical keyboards.
In that time there was no reason to cut the production costs and the build quality of most of the accessories for computers were really high, so there is an actual reason to make a confrontation!
Wait, I tried the Amiga 500 keyboard!
You may be right, most amiga 500 keyboards are awful membrane keyboards, but not the Hi-Tek's one, this particular keyboard was distributed only on some very early kickstart 1.2 amiga 500s, it's easily recognizable by the special dedicated "function keys" on the sides of the spacebar, regular membrane keyboards had two "amiga logo" keys in the Hi-Tek ones instead the key ad the left of the spacebar have a commodore logo ( C= ) and the right one a smaller than usual A. Even some big box amigas got Hi-Tek's keyboards (ex. A1000,A2000).
Hi-Tek:
Common one:
I must admit that I'm not a "keyboard expert" at all, I'm just the normal user.
But this is my comparison!
Switches:
Hi-Tek Space Invaders switch:
(White Linear)
Actuation force 45g
(Razer Green)
Actuation force 50g
My two lines of "pseudo review":
I don't know exactly why, but after testing both keyboard with the same writing application (Final Writer 97 - AmigaOS 3.9) I have to say that I prefeer Hi-Tek's switches, the typing is more robust and each keypress is a real pleasure, it seems to me that I can actually feel the actuation better, even the travel of the keys for me it's better, the only thing I really prefeer in the modern razer, is the stability of the keys, that doesn't wiggle even a little, just the spacebar got a little worse stabilization.
But don't get me wrong, the Hi-Tek got a little more wiggle but nothing crazy!
The sound:
Clicking on these links you can experience the sound of the switches thanks to soundcloud!
The verdict!
I cannot express a real winner here, these are both top notch keyboards.
BUT Personally I would choose the Amiga keyboard, so much that I'm actually in the hunt for this same switches to build myself a modern keyboard with those.
About the Razer, I have to say that, even if it's an incredible keyboard, it's too expensive and for the same price there are many kit's that could be better with less.
But the LED's integration with the software and the effects available are lovely!
Thanks for reading!
And always remember to keep on pressing!









Nessun commento:
Posta un commento